Friday, May 1, 2009

Oaks Day

This used to be considered "Louisville's Day at the Downs", but that doesn't seem as true anymore. My office was closed, as many are today since school is out. Handy that an inservice day is scheduled the day before the Derby. Same with the Friday of the St. James Art show. Coincidence?

Rachel Alexandra has just finished winning the Oaks in grand style. She was definitely impressive to watch -- and a very big girl. I'm really not a follower of Thoroughbred racing, except for maybe four races a year.

My Oaks Day was spent working with my dad putting down new flooring in my utility room. With the ugly carpet ripped up and some of the new plywood and flooring down, it's looking so much better already.
From new floor in back room
That's a trap door to the cellar that we're working our way around. My dad has made some nice trim that will go around both the door and the opening, to hide the edge of the flooring. It should look really nice once I'm able to find some stain that will make it about the same color as the flooring.

No comments: